Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Eat your eggies

I know some experts say not to talk to your babies and toddlers in baby talk, but the way I see it, they aren't raising my kids, I am. H and I are all about reading to our kids and teaching them from an early start, but we also throw in a little baby talk. A little "eggie" instead of "eggs", or "doggie" instead of "dog" is not going to hinder their vocabulary skills. Now if we only spoke to them in baby talk and didn't read to them, or speak to them clearly, than yes I can see how it has the potential to be an issue in the long run. Baby talk is actually more effective than regular speech in getting an infant's attention, and studies have shown that infants actually prefer to listen to this type of speech.

This post isn't about baby talk though, it's about making egg eating fun! With a piece of bread, one egg and a cookie cutter you may be able to get your little one to enjoy his or her egg a little more. Before I watched the movie "V for Vendetta"  a few years ago, I had never heard of eggs in a basket--which is just a name for a slice of bread buttered on both sides with a hole in the middle for the egg during cooking. After I watched the movie I tried this little egg recipe the next day and was hooked ever since. A few months ago, I decided to try this little recipe with a fun cookie cutter instead of just the rim of a glass cup. Layla was intrigued by this little egg man and while she didn't eat the whole thing, she did eat half of it. 


Instructions

1) Using a cookie cutter or a glass, cut a hole in the center of each slices of bread.

2) Melt the butter in a non stick skillet over medium low heat, add the slices of bread (with the hole in the center) and crack an egg right in the center.

 3) Season the egg lightly with salt and pepper and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.

Serve right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment