Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

DIY open picture frame display with crystals!


I realize I haven't blogged in about 2 weeks. I thought things were going to get a lot calmer now that the kids are out of school and I had grand plans to write at least 3 times a week again, but life! What can I tell you? It happens when we are busy making plans. I've really just been busy with the kids and Serena has a pretty busy schedule this summer as well, so driving to and from here and there is still several times a week. It is what it is though and while I'm still going to bed exhausted and waking up exhausted, I feel pretty content and happy these days. I've been tackling a lot of house projects and the creativity of it feeds my soul.

For a couple months now, Serena has been telling me that she wants to display several pictures on her main wall. If it was up to her she would have just rolled up a piece of tape, stuck it on the back and haphazardly placed them on the wall. I told her I could do her one better and suggested we make some sort of frame and keep it nice and neat. In my mind I envisioned an ornate decorative white frame, with crystal beaded string and the little clothes pins. I'd say in the end she met me halfway. 

I was watching Offer up for a while for a huge cheap picture frame, but when I would look I couldn't find anything under $30. Last week we went to Walmart and she ended up choosing a plain black frame for $18. Not too bad I suppose but after I started painting the frame, it dawned on me that I should have looked at Goodwill. Ah you live and you learn though.

Alright so here's what you're going to need for this project:

* Frame of your choice
* String of your choice. Don't get sewing thread. Use skinny twine, leather cord or nylon thread.
* Push pins
* Clothespins of your choice. You can find several different types in Michael's
* Drilled crystals or any other embellishments


First you want to take out the glass or plastic in frame so it's completely open and then paint it if you're changing the color. 


Another tip for you is if you are going to paint the frame, wood would be best. This is plastic and it was a bit of a pain. Wood is much easier to paint.

Walla! One white frame ready.


So the next thing you want to do is lay the frame down so the front part is on the floor, and with a pencil mark where you want each cord to go. In our case we just used a 4x6 picture to measure one bottom from the next. Next, grab a push pin and tie several knots on the pin part.


Push the pin with the string down into the frame. On the other side pull it taut and repeat on the other side. Do that for each row. We did 3 rows. 


One thing though, if you are using drilled crystals or gems, be sure to thread them on first before you push the pin in on the other side. 


Tada!


When I was trying to get the inner part of the frame off, I accidentally knocked off the hook for the nail to go on and secure in the wall, so I used command strips instead. I hope this tutorial was helpful! Have a great Wednesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment