Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Good ole fashioned apple pie..

I hope everyone had a lovely Fourth of July and the mosquitos didn't bite you too much. In honor of yesterday let's talk about pie, particularly apple pie. I love apple pie. 

Now I'm not talking about the one's you can buy at your local grocery store. I'm talking about homemade grandma Ople's apple pie. Well not my grandma Ople, but somebody's grandma Ople.

I make this pie ever so often when we have barbecues and my friends love it. I wanted to keep this little recipe to myself and call it my secret but it's not really mine, so here I am sharing it with you all!

Try it. You'll love it. Mmm my mouth is watering just looking at this picture which is the one I made two weeks ago.



Grandma Ople's Apple Pie (found on allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

  1. Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.
Now here are the little tweaks I make. First, I don't make a lattice crust. I just roll out my pillsbury pie crust and make slits at the top. I also beat an eggwhite and brush on the top of the crust-then I sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment