Friday, December 7, 2012

My life is so glamorous right now

As much as I'd love to have a pretty picture of Serena and Layla frolicking in the backyard, me cradling Mariam as she sleeps blissfully in my arms--that's just not my reality right now. Where as when it was just Layla at home, I had plenty of time to take a leisurely shower, blow dry my hair and take my time putting on my makeup. I could also tend to the house pretty good. Layla was still taking two one hour to three hour naps before Mariam came along you see.
Now it's one crazy thing after another. Or just the reality of having a newborn and a toddler. I'm not going to lie, it really kicks my butt sometimes. I'm talking about having moments where I don't think I can handle this on my own. I even looked into a mother's day out program a week ago. I was thinking about putting Layla into a program about twice a week for a few hours so I can keep my sanity and she can socialize with other children. H nixed the idea though. He only has a small understanding of just how difficult I've had it.
Mariam can get colicky and Layla has been sick so the past few days have been tough. Let me start with Tuesday night. Around 9 pm all the way to 2am, Mariam was colicky. I could not soothe her and she literally fussed/cried the whole time unless she was at the breast. So you would think, "Ok well she was up most of the night so maybe she'll sleep most of the day?" Nope! Wednesday she was was up pretty much the whole day and only slept for 20 minutes broken up. She was pretty much attached to me most of the day and to make matters worse, Layla had a fever and was also super clingy. I also got vomitted on twice, once right after Mariam had just had a bath. The next day (yesterday) Mariam sleeps well in the morning so I hop in the shower and bring Layla with me to knock out two birds with one stone. Well call it lack of sleep or just a big ole mom fail, but I left my razor out and Layla knicked her thumb. Oy Vey! So I'm trying to rush out of the shower with conditioner in my hair and find something to stop the bleeding. She didn't cry at all. In fact it didn't even faze her. She was just looking at it oddly. So I'm holding a washcloth to her little thumb and I saw it was just a small nick but that thing would not clot! I scrambled around looking for a bandaid and I find one measly one in the back of my makeup drawer. I put it one and it quickly becomes saturated and then she takes it off and starts playing with something. Great....That was my last bandaid...
So back to scrambling around trying to find something and I find some gauze and medical tape. Ah ha! I will save the day. However Layla takes that off shortly after as well. Thank God Mariam was still sleeping through all this. I would have been much more frazzled with a screaming baby. So anyways, by now all I've got is some toilet paper and medical tape. I put that on (which also came off a few minutes later) and I call my friend who lives closest to me crying to see if she could bring me some bandaids and just to help. She shows up 15 minutes later and by then Layla's nick had pretty much clotted well. Mariam had woken by then. She literally came to my rescue and I was able to get us all fed, Layla down for a nap, and Mariam taken care of. In the afternoon Serena comes home complaining of a stomach ache. We leave shortly after to take Layla to a doctor's appt for her cold and just as we walk in the doctor's office Serena throws up.
Really world? I mean really?
She feels immediatly better after so that's a relief for me, but what a day! Thankfully last night Mariam slept from 10pm to 4am this morning. I fed her and she went right back to sleep. Thank God! She's also been a good napper today and I've been feeling like a normal person again. Well I think I hear her now so gotta run.
Have a great weekend!


  1. oh girl, i feel you! I've had some rough days...I can't imagine three! Hang in there, hopefully it'll get easier. Lyla was really colicky, feel free to email me any time!

  2. I admire your honesty. Hang in there!