Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Ava's Birth Story


So I believe the last time I posted while I was pregnant, I mentioned that at 38 weeks and 3 days I was barely dilated at all. I thought for sure that I would go to my due date like I did with baby #3 or that I would go past due. The next day (Friday) after my OB appointment I decided to take the girls to the library last minute. I knew the weekend was upon us so I wanted to check out some books and a movie for them. The library nearby has a nature trail and since the day was so nice, afterwards I thought it would be nice to take a little walk. I hardly exercised at all this pregnancy but I had been on my feet most of the day with the girls and I really don't think I've worked harder in my life in regards to my family and business. So we took our little stroll and then headed home. The rest of the night was uneventful, but I did have trouble sleeping. From 5 am on, I kept having to use the restroom. In retrospect I see it was because the baby must have dropped further and was putting more pressure on my bladder.

I got up for the day around 8 am and noticed that I was having a lot of braxton hicks contractions. Around 8:30 am H left to go bike riding and I started timing them. I was getting them every 2-5 minutes but they were painless. Something was definitely up. I texted my mom around 9:30 to tell her what I was feeling and joked that I hoped this wasn't false labor. By 10:30 they started to calm down but I was still getting them here and there. Some I had to breathe through but that was nothing new for me. I've had that feeling for weeks with some of them.

We went about our business and went to go see a house with a friend of ours and his toddler, and then went to the park. There weren't happening too much at the park so I was definitely thinking the baby was not going to come on that day. After the park we all went to go have pizza and I noticed the contractions were getting stronger. We ate, stopped at the grocery store while I waited in the car and by then it was 3:00 pm. I told DH that we should get home already. By the time we got home contractions were coming closer and stronger. I was still able to finish packing my bag, take a shower and blow dry my hair, but I would stop and breathe through my contractions. Once I finished everything they were still coming but not yet 5 minutes apart. I waited it out on the couch and called my OB. She told me to wait till they are about 5 minutes apart or I could come in and do a labor check but if I was only 1 or 2 cm dilated they would just send me home. I waited 15 more minutes and by then they were less than 5 minutes apart and very painful. We headed to the hospital around 5:00 pm. By the time I got up to labor and delivery and checked I was 5 cm dilated! Yep I was going to be admitted and it was baby time. I requested the epidural. I was in so much pain by the time we got to the hospital that I was literally shaking. My teeth were chattering and I was in agony. I couldn't get the epidural right away though. They needed to get a bag of IV fluid in me first. Around 6:30 pm I had the worst contraction of all and I felt my water break. Around 7pm I got the epidural and sweet relief finally kicked in 30 minutes later. Usually it happens fast but not this time. Once I went numb I was able to rest, talk and post on Facebook. Relief never felt so good.


Around 10:00 pm the nurse and doctor came in and it was go time. I was at a 10. The doctor suited up but everybody in the room pretty much had to postition me and hold my legs. I was completely numb that I couldn't feel my legs. Still I pushed and I was able to get her out in 3 big pushes. Right away they put her on my chest and I was able to hold her for about 12 minutes before they weighed and cleaned her. After they got her clean H and I noticed she looked so much like our second daughter--only she had a lot more hair! Ava is gorgeous with the most beautiful golden brown hair. Her sisters got to see her the next day and naturally fell in love with her as well. We had a great hospital stay and were discharged 2 days later. H and I are definitely feeling very blessed.



Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment