Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Let them eat cake..


 So not sure what's gotten into me lately, but I have been on a gourmet food kick lately.

 
You'd be amazed at how a little bit of parsley transforms your dish from looking dull to something whipped up at an upscale restaurant. Btw, that salmon I made last week was sooo delicious! You must try this recipe for a sweet and salty salmon rub. Usually I have a love/hate relationship with cooking. I mean I do it all the time about 5-6 days a week, but most of the time it's a chore. I love food, but let's just say if I had a personal chef to meal plan and cook for me, I would be in heaven. I think part of the hate part comes from lack of confidence when it comes to cooking, but I'm getting over it slowly.

Things change. I've changed, and I've gotten more relaxed on what my girls eat. I always strive to feed them balanced and healthy meals but I also let them indulge in sweets here and there. I mean how could I not? I have a huge sweet tooth and I can only hide in the corner munching on a Hershey's almond bar for so long before they find me. A little bit of sweets are ok and I am diligent about incorporating organic foods in their diet and brushing their teeth. I wasn't always this way. I was more strict with sweets than I should have been with Serena. I still remember that time we went to the zoo with my best friend and her kids when Serena was 5. My friend stopped in the ice cream shop and bought her kids ice cream and I wouldn't let Serena have any because she hadn't had dinner yet. It was also the principle that I had said no and she was insisting. So yes she had to sit at the table while the other kids had ice cream and she didn't. I don't know why I said no. I guess I remembered how my parents were. They hardly ever had sweets in the house and I couldn't really remember them ever indulging us much with surprise ice cream shop trips. I mean no ice cream because it wasn't after dinner? Ugh. I still feel horrible about that day and it's definitely on my list of one of my worst parenting moments. Thankfully, Serena doesn't remember and I'm always humbled by the amazing forgiveness that children are capable of. So yes I am pretty relaxed now when it comes to sweets. I do like to surprise them with trips to our local cupcakery, or a quick drive to Sonic's.

Have a great Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment